Travelling on two wheels

I made it!
Today I rode the m-40 (my mountain bike) to work. My record for 2003! Commuting until the bitter end. I had already broken the 2002 record by about 17 days. Now I have both a brush and shovel in the panniers- so winter by forewarned, I am ready for more!
Essentials for biking in winter
1. Knobby tires - these should be wider than 1.90 inches. Don't use the street tires- you are liable to regret it. Cyclo-Cross tire may be good but I suggest only expert riders use them. I know they make some as tires as wide as 3 inches and even some tires with "studs". You can probably find a good set at NashBar - the ultimate bicycling clearing house. You can get just about everything on the list there.
2. Waterproof Wind Pants. I have used the style with mesh lining. You can get these cheaply at Target or Wal-Mart.
3. Brightly colored breathable shell. I also like having arm pit vents and few pockets. Look in the snowboard attire section for one.
4. Breathable wicking long sleeved top. Nike Dri-Fit is my favorite but have found that Duofold CoolMax Alta are good too. I have often layered a Duofold with a Dri-Fit this year for temps under 40. When below 15 I layer Duofold with Polar Fleece. You can also use a sweat shirt.
5. Lighting. A good front and rear light will keep you seen. It gets dark earlier during late fall and through winter so the headlight may help you see the road. You can get both at Nashbar or Target or Wal-Mart or your local bike shop. REI also has a good bicycle gear selection. More later.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!