Christmas at Concordia

I attended one of the Concordia Christmas concerts this weekend with a friend and his family. This years event was entitled "Joy of Heaven to Earth Come Down." The choral singing brought back memories of my choir days at UMM. I enjoyed the most singing along on the audience participation selections.
They sang Awake, Awake and Glorification - both F. Melius Christiansen compositions. I am glad In the Bleak Mid-Winter is making a comeback. This obscure carol is one of my favorites since singing it at UMM back in 1996. Sanctus from the Rutter Requiem was sung too. I sang that one back in high school with full orchestra.
Overall it was a good experience but I don't think it necessarily deserved the standing ovation- the concert was not emotionally stirring enough. And what was that hand raising stuff? That was so high school. Orchestra was excellent. Some of the male narration was well over acted. Dwight Purdy still is one of best narrators I've heard. Carol concert narration is easy to mimic and many of my choir colleagues enjoyed doing a "Dwight Purdy" from time to time. Maybe there should be a whole carol concert entitled "A Dwight Purdy Christmas." I'm sure Linda Hodgson would be rolling on the floor laughing if she heard about this.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!