A visit with Children 18:3


A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity spend an afternoon with Children 18:3 and family. For all the years I've known David, Seth, LeeMarie et al, I have spent nary a quality hour with them. I guess this made up for all the lost time in a peculiar way.
The children are real. I mean it. Definitely not like rock stars albeit they have the external trappings of being ones. They are thoughtful and authentic. And they are not quite children anymore. Seth been working on a farm 40+ hours a week and David is moving toward the mid-twenties. LeeMarie must have graduated. I did not ask. She does not volunteer much info.
We ate lunch together and spoke with their parents, D and ML. I then sat in on a rehearsal. They even let me use the spare ear protection devices. Not only was it loud but skillfully impressive. I only wished I could play along on the maracas or triangle. They are working on new material. ML says that 18:3 are dedicated to their fans and feel the need to give them something new whenever they play. After the rehearsal, I partook in one of Seth and David's favorite activities, looking through abandoned houses. Luckily there was one nearby and did not disappoint- purely a mess of abandonment smattered with allusion to the 80s and prior.
Before leaving the family gifted me with some CDs including the most recent opus - Songs of Desperation. What a blessing.
I am not much of a heavy and loud music listener. I am a folkie at heart. However on my way home I began listening to the Children 18:3 CD became hooked. The lyrics are incredible and the music par excellent. A few days later I wanted to be the first to cover Paper Valentine. It has not happened yet. But perhaps someday along with the Cowboy Song.
Slan.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!