Oh my wilderness - part 7


Finally the thrilling conclusion of my wilderness adventure. You may want to review previous chapters to catch up.Perhaps I should have taken another route to get back to the Moose River. I bypassed the portage from Oyster River to Lake Agnes. At 160 rods I had little motivation to take it on. Besides an 160 rod portage awaited me at the entry point. I pressed on.
I soon reached a large beaver dam. Thinking there to be a short portage around the beaver's handiwork, I searched the shore. My search came up empty. I brought the canoe to a safer place on the dam and pulled it over and down 4 feet. Not long afterward I arrived at the the short portage. According to the map the Oyster would hook up with the Moose River in almost a half mile. What failed to grab my attention was that the navigation channel on the map diminishes into a blue/green area or in other words a marsh.
After a bite to eat I shove off thinking I'd be in familiar territory shortly. The navigational channel of the river reduced in size to little under 6 feet. It continued to get smaller and smaller and then came some small beaver dams. I pulled over then paddled and pulled over again until I reached to the point of 3 forks each blocked with a dam- one to left, one to the center, and one to the right. I chose the center one, pulled over and paddled. The channel became 3 feet wide and then entirely disappeared. I got out of the canoe and found some stable ground. From my vantage point it looked like somebody may have cut through to the Moose by pulling the canoe overland. I decided to do the same. This proved difficult and troublesome as occasional mud holes were hastening the progress.
I could see nothing but the tall grasses which grew in marshy ground. I had no clue how far way the Moose River lied. Just then as I adjusted the canoe I stepped and both feet began to sink into the muck. I figured this might be it. I'm done. I was almost swallowed up to my waste. I lunged for the canoe and with all my strength pulled myself out. Mud slithered off me into the canoe. No way would I be pulling the canoe through this.
Standing on sturdy ground I caught a glimpse of a canoe party just beyond the "weeds." They were waiting, thankfully. Being careful where I stepped I began to backtrack to the 3 forks. I then took the far left channel. However, things did not get better. After pulling the canoe over the little dam that blocked the head of the channel I lost my balance and capsized the canoe in a 3 foot wide channel. Acting quickly I got my gear to drier ground. Soaked and muddy, I drained the canoe and began again, navigating the narrow channel until it connected with the Nina Moose River.

My "guardian angels" asked if I was all right and told me that my escapade had convinced them not to take the Oyster River into Oyster Lake. We parted in opposite directions. I only got hung up looking for the Moose River outlet from Nina Moose Lake. Returning during the daylight I noticed that I missed a gigantic boulder along the river. I did not stop to explore. Nearly 4 hours later I finally arrived at the long portage at the entry point and by nightfall I was on my way back to Ely. I had made it! Thank God, I made it!

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!