Oh my wilderness - part 5


I broke camp after a late breakfast and saved time by shoving off from the north side of the penisula. With the canoe now well tuned, I cruised swiftly north to the entrance of the Pocket Creek. Unfortunately a large beaver dam barred the entrance to the creek. I decided I should document it, however, I discovered my camera no longer functioned. Not another picture would be shot on this trip.
It took a while to pull the canoe over due in part to the unattachment of a few rib of the canoe frame. Fortunately that was easily remedied by re-attaching them to the fasteners. It is a good thing to have a folding canoe otherwise stuff like that would certainly ruin a trip.
After a short portage and a few strokes I head up Gebeonequet Creek, a quiet waterway. Gebeonequet Creek descends out of a lake with the same through a steep chasm. It was the only waterfall I encountered on the journey.
I exited Geb via a 120 rod portage into Green Lake. I think I sited a Bald Eagle above me as I paddled to the next portage although it may have been a Goshawk. After a 85 rod portage I found myself on Rocky Lake. It was getting late. I wanted to get to Oyster Lake. Rocky has only one lonely campsite in a secluded bay. To avoid the anxieties I experienced the night before I decided to see if I could snag this site.
Slowly I approached the site and peered occasionally with the binoculars. I listened carefully for camping noises. I scanned the shore for a canoe and a tent. After 15 minutes of reconnaisise, I take the rocky campsite. Victory!
Nestled against a steep hill and surrounded by towering pines, I thought this site was great. However, I changed my mind. Mostly made up rocky outcroppings, the underfoot provided very little space to pitch a tent. Later I discovered mice also inhabited the area and liked to poke around my stuff. I did not approve. I only wished more owls and other birds of prey would rid these sites of mice but unfortunately many of us have the habit of carelessly leaving scraps of food behind. If Phil were on this trip he would have declared war on the mice. After dinner I made ready to for an early embarkment and planned to arrive at the entry point in the afternoon the next day. The winds were blowing as I went to bed. Halfheartedly I expected rain.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!