Oh my wilderness - part 3



I am not sure I slept a wink in the bow of my 15 foot canoe as I waited for daybreak.
As the first glimpse of daylight peaked out near 5AM, I set out. The rushing water sound proved to be a beaver dam and I pulled the canoe over it. I'd see nearly a dozen of these on this trip some more treacherous than others. I then made headway to Nina Moose Lake.
Upon entering the lake I discovered my craft was not tracking very straight. In fact it was going in circles. This did not bode well will me. I did my best to cross the lake making one mistaken detour into a bay. I up the Nina Moose River. Not a soul was awake until after my first portage at 9AM. I took in some nourishment and continued at a torpid pace on the river with a badly tracking canoe. I'd often end up in the weedy section of the river while attempting to navigate straight.
Nearing mid-day I arrived at Lake Agnes and began to discover that the wind also was playing a part in my poor tracking. Even a slight breeze would catch the gunwales and flail my craft in a circular path. I had enough. I set a course for the nearest campsite. En route I encountered some ermine or mink-like critters playing near the shore. They hightailed it before I got nearer.
Minutes later I landed at the campsite. I unloaded and began to cook some eggs and Canadian bacon. After my lunch I took a nap on a large rock in the middle of my campsite. Time went by and eventually it became dinner time. Still being exhausted from the night before I decided to stay put and make camp.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!