The lost run

I spent some time in New York Mills, MN last week on business. In keeping with my fitness regime, I run almost every morning. I think I am training for some road race, but I have not decided on one yet.
One morning I left to go run. I ran around the town as I did before but wanted to go a bit farther. I followed a country road heading out of town. I ran and ran hoping that I'd find a connecting road that would lead back to town. Unfortunately after an hour I did not come across one. I did not want to go back since there were big dogs that I had out run. It would not have been fun either. Backtracking to me is akin to "I made a mistake."
Eventually I found some roads that I thought would take me back, but they zigzagged a bit and took me farther away.
I was lost. I needed to find highway 10. I could hear it in the distance- the passing traffic and semi-trailer truck sounds. At last a gravel road took me right to the highway. To be safe I ran down a frontage road, however it became a driveway. I scurried through some grass up to the railroad tracks. I ran on them for a while but did not feel safe doing it.
Finding a dry spot in the ditch, I ran to the shoulder of the highway.
A distance of about 2 miles separated me from town. I ran on the shoulder of the highway as traffic whizzed past at 65 miles per hour. The shoulder was adequate and I made it back to my motel. I ran for nearly 2 hours! Not bad but I was exhausted.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!