I got small and...


...went to Dinkytown. This particular Dinkytown resides on the east bank of the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities campus. It is a very boho kind of place. You've got beggars, protesters, musicians, outdoor cafes, bookstores all packed into a few acres of real estate. About 3 blocks west you have the Mississippi River and a collapsed bridge. There are many lurkers on an adjacent bridge looking at it. It is sort of like Minnesota's version of Ground Zero except there were no terrorists (we think).
I hung out at this remarkable bar called the Kitty Kat Club. It is only a block from the fabled Loring Cafe. The place is quite a bit different that your typical drinking emporium. It is decorated in a rather peculiar fashion. Because of one particular theme room (Rembrandt's "Man in the golden helmet"), the Kitty Kat reminded me of the Kevin Myers Show I used to do in the Grove. I should upload some pictures because describing it would do no justice [I did, 08.10.07]. Nevertheless, they have a Sunday 4-7 Happy Hour with $2 bottles of beer. I had brown ale that reminded me a bit of Newcastle. The place also has some cool restrooms. If you are ever in Dinkytown I would suggest you visit. I think they have live music almost every night. Sure beats the Go.

Comments

Unknown said…
We used to go there on Thursday nights.
It's the dope stuff.
Hey- next time you're in the Twin Cities, I have a grocery bag of VHS tapes with your name on it.

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!