A nickel for 30

Although I am not an avid concert attender I decided to trek to downtown to catch a show. I pretty depressed so I needed to do something different for once. For my money I got to hear a Dylan inspired balladeer [Rocky Votolato. He was great.] and the progressive new folk grass styling of Nickel Creek. To top it off even got to sit in a chair reminiscent of my Spooner dorm desk chair- but that is a another story.The atmosphere was odd to say the least. The audience consisted of older folkies and the younger quasi-boho set. I'm not sure where I fit in those groups.
I was mesmorized my Chris Thile's mandolin playing. Apparently he mezmorizes himself too because as he played he moved about like Hendrix in sort of a daze. He even joked about it when he bantered about not being high with Sara Watkins. Sean Watkins' guitar work was equally as incredible even if he does not have the eccentricity of Chris. Props also go to the stand up bass player with the neat hat. He also did a some clogging and banjo. Of course Sara has a lovely voice but I am sure she hears that a lot. To be true, Sara is bit like a bridge that keeps Chris and Sean together. Her showmanship is superb.
I am amazed at how well the combo flow together. There isn't a break of the music. Although the theatre did not allow for dancing I am sure if they did the whole front would be jigging.
I left feeling better with inspiration to improve on the mando.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!