My memorial adventure


I had a short window of time so I decide to take the short jaunt for an overnight in the Sheyenne Grasslands along with my hearty adventure mate (who was a good sport I might add).

The weather was sweltering and a grassland does not provide much shade. Fortunately a cool breeze brought relief and occassional patches of woodlands provided respite.

My goal for this outing was to find the Sheyenne River off the North Country Trail. It never happened. We must of walked further than I thought or the river is on private property which we cannot access (Argh!). We ended up following a fence line and backtracking until I stumbled upon a Mirror Pool WMA. I firmly believed we should camp near a water source. It was going to be hot and the water I bought was going to run out. Well no pools at Mirror Pool, just a mucky wetland, and the only windmill pond provided stagnant water. We left that area and immediately found high ground and pitched the tent.
The mosquitoes came out in droves after sunset and the ticks were just as bad. I should have known this! The same thing happened a year ago. We evacuate into the tent and pick ticks until we fall asleep.
The next morning I continue to look for a water source with no success. We pull up stakes and head back.
Now the north side of the North Country Trail in the Sheyenne Grasslands is pretty sketchy in places. It uses just the blue blazes on poles every 100-300 meters following almost worn away cattle tracks. Occasionally these markers cannot be seen from the previous which leaves the hiker with the "honor" of making his own trail. Well that happened twice to us. We found our way out but with some unforseen detours.
It was good to get out again although them bugs do get me upset. Yet I was prepared.
Slan.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!