The last round at the Chainsaw Sisters' Saloon


In August I took my annual trek to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. This is just one story from that journey.
I was a bit incredulous when a fellow said there was free beer at the end of the portage. I took my time to lug the canoe and gear 30-some rods to Mudro Lake entry point. It had been a hard day coming out and making it over 4 portages, the last thing I wanted was somebody pulling my leg about free beer.
Nestled upon a hill between Picket Lake and a creek that takes you to Mudro Lakes, stands a watering hole called the Chainsaw Sisters' Saloon. I happened to arrive at the perfect time: a time of free beer and a free lunch (take that Sagan!).
This was no ordinary luncheon. This was to be the last time the saloon would be open, ever.
I hesitantly ascended the heights to the simple building. A live band played and lively conversation ensued. I felt a bit out of place coming out of wilds. I stood around, watched, listened. I perused literature and even took a hacky sack.
Chainsaw Sisters has been around for something close to 20 years. Nearly all guides note this establishment on the edge of the protected wilderness. I had only heard about it from books.
As I eavesdropped, I discovered that the owners wanted to live nearer their family. I think they hoped to find a buyer who would keep up the business. That did not happen. Instead to selling to developers and possibly encroach more so on the neighboring wilderness, they decided to work with the Nature Conservatory and thus allow the property to revert back to the wild. A noble act. I'm sure such a property is highly valued.
So I'm surrounded by all these environmental people and foresters. Clearly, I am just the wild man. A pilgrim to these parts. Yet, even pilgrims need to eat. I spied a platter of water melon and began. Then I sampled the veggie tray. Next I grabbed a boxed lunch. Finally I had to audacity to ask for a beer. They gave it to me- in a commemorative cup. So I chowed down thankful that the Almighty was certainly behind bringing me to this surprise feast. I chipped in 5 bucks to the donation jar and made my way back to the canoe to finish the final leg of the trip.
I left sated and grateful for this wilderness celebration.

Comments

bestchainsaw said…
Is there anyone who can recommend the best product among the ones listed here?
How to Build a Small Grow Tent

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!