Fargo Marathon 2007: Bigger


As anticipated this edition of the Fargo Marathon (and other running events) enlarged. It is surmised there were upwards of 8000 individuals involved in one of the 3 major events (5k, Half, or Full Marathon). I do not doubt it. The Fargo Dome was packed with people. We were packed in like sadines at starting line. Unfortunately the P.A. system could not break the din of a few thousand runners. When the race started we ran as pack for nearly 3 miles without many options of increasing pace. It inhibited me from reaching my stride until I got south of downtown. I had never run in a race this large so it was a bit surprising but I handled it. There was one runner who probably got caught in the pack at the split that missed the route for the marathon. She had to run a an extra quarter mile I believe.
One highlight on the course was The Invisble Piano Player. The invisible one played tunes going by and coming back. There were no beer offerings this year apparently. I don't recall any remarkable aid areas. I ran through most. There were some enthusiastic spectators. My friend John however had to be the most enthused. However, it seems most midwesterns are a bit ho-hum and too shy to yell out. I tried to encourage it. It didn't even work. Even at the finish line the cheers were not many. Lots of spectators nonetheless and I appreciated that. Their presence made me seem famous for almost 2 hours.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!