It burned- a night of karaoke

This weekend past I got pulled into going to a karaoke night at a bar a few miles out of the Go. I anticapated a hole in the wall saloon somewhere in the boondocks. However, I was wrong. The Mainliner is a rather pleasant drinking establishment in a town with a name you only can whine: Downer.
For a Saturday night the place appeared rather empty. Most were sitting near the bar or in fornt of the large screen television. The karaoke started slowly. Most selections were countryesque with the exception of my friend's 70's ballads. I think she may have sung something by the Captain & Tennille. Out of the 10 or so "performers" for the night my friend performered significantly better than most.
Characters are attracted to karaoke I surmise. I find it surprising that inebriated individuals get a kick out of singing poorly in public. There was one particular female duo who went up 3 times and each time they were weirder and weirder (or possibly drunker and drunker). The would go up to the stage, one holding a Morgan Coke (I suspect) and the other a Budweiser of some kind. They did not sing particularly well but would stand nearly perfectly still. They kind of reminded me of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. Once they came up on stage when it was not even their turn. The only song lyrics I rememember them singing that night was a chorus with the lyrics"red necked women." Other karaoke performers are American Idol fans and live out the fantasy on stage. These folks are well meaning but not nearly star calibre. Simon would easily eat them for supper. I just politely clap. Finally, there are the former Elvis impersonators. Although they share no resemblance to Presley, they channel his voice and mannerisms. If only they would do "Burning Love."
Besides my friend, I was the only one from the party to step up to the mic. In honor of Johnny Cash's house burning down this weekend, I sang "Ring of Fire." Apparently I was a hit. I chose to turn a blind eye to it.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!