This Gen- Part 3


The Loss of Localization- the local church is spurned

The very medium I use to write this is part of the problem. So ironic. I must be hypocrite. However, the Internet has aided (for better or for worse) the delocalization of much of the world. This generation has grown up with it, harnessed its power, and are virtually living online. My home is not considered Zeeland, North Dakota anymore (hypothetical of course). I am a citizen of the world!
This attitude has its good and bad points. First the good. We no longer can keep a narrow view of this world. Zeeland is just as close to Berlin as Warsaw or Munich. This generation wants to go places. To the distance lands, to the exotic isles. Missions are booming. They want to see all nations come to worship the creator of the universe.
On the flip side, they become so globally minded that the local church is ignored or even spurned as not being a vital link. This is a terrible thing. Although I agree the body of Christ extends beyond borders and denominations- the local church is the essential buiding block for reaching the world- not "ministries" or organizations or agencies- it's the church! This generation has become a consumer of church meetings, events, but has not attached itself to the vitality of the body that has Christ as its head. All ministry should flow from Jesus and since Jesus is the head of the church why not be part of one?
Some reasons why I thing local church is spurned
  1. It requires time, effort, and commitment. This reason sort of relates to the problem I wrote of in part 1.
  2. It is too institutional and cumbersome.
  3. It does not feed my soul. Everybody has said this at one time or other about the church. Face it. It's not fast food. We need to learn to receive from God not rely solely on a minister. The local church should help you reach that stage.
  4. It is full of strangers. Yah, I agree with that. Some local churches have all the charm of a wet noodle. It should not be that way of course. I guess that is a prayer point- that local churches would exude the love of Christ. I know it can happen.
  5. I'll join when I am married, hurt, etc. Face it. By failing to connect with a local church you wind up missing a whole aspect of the body of Christ. I don't think being part of a local church is optional. If we received Jesus, we receive his people too.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!