Fair chance

The beginning of September found me back at home in order to enjoy a long overdue visit to the State Fair. I was glad to be relieved of working at Roman Meal where I heaved 50lb bags of Dolly Madison Donut Crunch unto pallets for 8 hours the past 2 weeks. I left feeling sore, especially in my fingers.
We arrived at the fair early but not as early as we had to when we worked there. Back then we were on the fairground at least by 6 AM. There was so much to see and unfortunately I did not see it all.
I did get to return to the 4-H building- a big white ediface with a central tower which accents the evening skyline of the fair with its green lights. As a younger person I spent much time in the structure; In particular the 3rd floor dormitory. The place has changed little since those days. The stage I performed on is still there and Arts-In continues to put on its productions albeit without Art in the Park. This year's show was OK. Nothing like the glory days of the late 80's. It was unfortunate that such a large group could not project well. I heard about a 3rd of the songs and they were amplified.
Besides the 4-H building we made it around most of the fair except the horticulture and dairy buildings and the bazaar. Another place we also missed was the Territorial Pioneers cabin. My father and sister hurried through places and at times I completely lost them.
I am much of a fair food eater. I bought 2 1919 Root Beers and had a shake. Outside of the gates I bought some cheese curds before packing myself onto a crowded shuttle bus.
Nevertheless, it was a fine visit. I wish I stilled worked and lived at the fair as I did in the past. That way I could really take in all the fair without the rush.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!