Blowout! a true story of hardship overcome

Progressing from Lehigh, my ancestral home, on the Interstate
I encountered a most hazardous situation.

I ventured northbound from the Twin Cities while praying.
No particular reason to pray, it is just my custom on long trips.
Somewhere north of St. Cloud the car began to shake and make
unusual noises. I knew this script. I had been there a few time
before. As it was my front left tire blew out. The entire sidewall
disintegrated.

Call it providence or coincidence, this situation happened near
the entrance to the Middle Spunk Creek wayside. I navigated
the crippled vehicle off the freeway to safety. I inspected the
damage and although it was bad, I had an inner confidence that
something good was going to happen. I trusted the Lord and
jogged to the wayside building to use the facilities.

Getting back to the car I searched the trunk for the equipment
I needed: jack, spare tire, and wrench.
I only had two- the jack and the spare.
I had no means to remove the tire. An impasse?

I prayed. God told me that a person would stop and I was to
ask for the wrench. About a minute later a guy did stop. He did
not have a tire wrench- the correct tool for the job- but we was
willing to help. He actually broke some cheap ratchet wrenches
trying to get the tire off. Not wanting to leave me defeated he
drove into the wayside (I was on the entrance road) to ask someone
for a tire wrench.

We got it almost immediately. We drove back to the car and made
the switch in about 3 minutes. He then returned the tire wrench.
He was a Godsend.

Afterward, I carefully got back on the freeway after switching out
for the small spare tire and made it home without any incident. It is
amazing that such a small tire could travel at near 70 mph!

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!