Endurance II : Shingobee

Over MLK my roommate Erik and I decided to venture out into the wilderness of Chippewa National Forest to camp in below zero condtions. Never doing this before, I am not sure why I pressed on to do in perhaps the coldest conditions of the year: almost twenty below zero with no wind chill. We hiked about one mile into the forest to get to the site.
We got to camp fine but erecting the tent was tedious. I had not set this tent up for over a year and it had six poles! My headlamp batteries failed twice during the struggle.
Once shelter was assembled I tried make something hot to eat. My Sierra Zip Stove was not working at optimal levels. I changed its battery but after fifteen minutes the battery ran out. So much for new batteries. Erik assembled a fire in the fire grate. At first he failed. A hour later he had the fire going. By now most all the food and water was frozen. I got out just enough water to boil and make coffee. The coffee was so hot it burned Erik's tongue. It was the last vestige of warmth we would have for some time.
Shortly after we crept into our tent and into our double sleeping bags. In my down bag I was still cold. I did not sleep very well. Erik slept but may have frost bit his toes lightly.
In the morning I got out of the tent quickly because nature called. I did not feel well either. It was still very cold and we were both hungry and thirsty. I decided to break camp after we spent some time attempting to keep warm in the tent. It was useless.
We got back to the car around noon and headed to Walker. We stopped at a Hardee's a got something to eat but I decided we should eat it outside on picnic tables.
We drove around the forest more and then did some hiking before heading back home full of memories and freezer burn.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!