300: Down to the Valley


This is the continuing saga of my 300 mile bike tour into 3 states I completed in the beginning of July.

I spent a good part of the day in Morris with my friends. After a few shopping stops for supplies and a bite to eat (Willie's still has the cheapest sandwiches around), I head west on MN 28 towards Graceville somewhere between 2 and 3 PM. There wasn't much excitement from Morris to Graceville. I think there may have been a wedding in Chokio but most of the time it was flatland fields.
I stopped in Graceville and looked around. I didn't see much open. Seems small towns close up early on weekends. I went to the covenience store to stock up on water, then continued down 28. The topography did not change much. It still was flat but there was an occasional slough and lots of ducks.
Nearing Brown's Valley brought the most remarkable changes. It was a valley! At last there was something different. I rolled through the deserted town at 8PM and found the city campground and settled down for the night. The campsite was deserted too. I was the only customer at the respectable park with indoor plumbing and electricity. Other camping options were a bit too distant and scouting a little further aroused the attention of a Collie which chased me back to the campground. I pitched the tent under a crabapple tree, made dinner, then went to bed.
An amazing thing about Brown Valley, is that a number of years ago the remains of a pre historic man were found nearby. Apparently when they were analyzed, they were found to be from 4000 Bc or there abouts. Well no museum took the remains and so they were returned to the guy who found them. The bones then disappeared for some time. I have no idea if they are still around.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!