Gasping for employment

Although it appears the Go area has the lowest rate of unemployment in the nation for September, I am still sinking to the bottom in what I am told is a good job market. However, I did get an interview the other day with one of the local colleges which was encouraging to say the least.
The interview went okay but I came out of it thinking "I really don't know much about computers anymore." I kept a good conversation about viruses and spyware but it seems everything else I just said "No, have not done that." So I think my prospects are rather low for landing that position.
Now am I in gap land with the agency. There is a continuing anxiety about what assignments they proffer. The last 2 weeks I was back at the mill. It was easy and I think it will pay the bills.

Waiting can be more difficult now that I've got others wondering if I am looking for jobs every hour of the day. Do I just say "Yah, I'm doing something" or snap back? Then there's a sub set that try to offer advice and suggest jobs I'd never want to do. The are well meaning but suspect they don't understand the complexities of who I am and what I would enjoy doing.
In recent weeks I have found some encouragement and pathos in listening to Jay Mohr's audio auto-biography of his Saturday Night Live years- Gasping for Airtime. Kind of like parallel world except I never did stand up.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!