Under the open sky

I hustled out of town last week into the wilderness for a few days of canoeing in the Boundary Waters with the ever quotable Phil, his Volkwagon Rabbit, and his Kevlar Canoe.
It was a bustling time in the Boundary Waters. We went at peak season and did not even reserve a permit. At the Cook ranger station, Phil and I learned there were only 5 available permits left! Pretty bad for a million acres. Most of the available ones were on or near Lake Vermillion. I wanted more wilderness. The only one close was at the end of the Gunflint Trail and a 3-4 hour drive through backwoods roads. We took it.
We stopped in Ely for gas and get a few supplies. What we failed to get was bread.
This tripped proved to me that the BWCA is a bit crowded in places. However, those sturdy enough to put in some miles will find it well worth passing through the congestion at the entry point. Our entry point also happened to have motor designations which proved distracting although tolerable. I will detail the rest of the trip later.
In the solitude of the wilderness I had opportunity to pray and read. Phil, not much a conversationalist, passed the time in his own quiet ways. He also read some.
He brought a book along called Under the Overpass that intrigued me. I read the whole thing. It is narrative about 2 men who decide to live as homeless for 5 months in 5 different cities. Check out the website to find out more. This book inspired me and changed my thinking. It also re- emphasized my desire to live simply and live my faith. Good stuff.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!