Icognito politico

In a strange turn of events I have been reading about the band U2. A few weeks ago I picked up an older biography of the group which I mentioned in an earlier post. I then came across a spiritual bit them in a book Segue gave me: Faith, God, and Rock n Roll by Mark Joseph. "Religion should not inform our politics" is a quote attributed to Bono (Paul Hewson to Dubliners) which bugs me. Although I sort of doubt Bono believes this since trying to pin down anything concrete on U2's spirituality has been vague to ethereal. [note: All You Can't Leave Behind nows seems more spiritual now than ever.] However, the quote is a springboard for a ponderous journey concerning the post-modern era we dwell in.
If religion should not inform our politics- which I am defining as opinions and thoughts on life issues - then what should? Emotions?
If religion is suppose to inform us how to live right, honor God, serve others then why does politics need to be reserved for another sphere. If it is not so - religion informing politics- then politics and therefore government is dead ( or anarchy). Every man should do as he wish. Definitions will cease to exist. And most assuredly justice will not be fair. The powerful and cunning will exert their wills upon us - which is exactly what post-modernism wants to escape.
Is it all bad to have something that governs our behaviors to keep us from the heart of darkness inside which will devour freedom and enslave us.
Now that's a pretty weighty post. Religion will affect politics. It is not always a clear cut choice either. Competing solutions can be equally valid according to relgious views.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!