I don't have a boyfriend...musical thoughts

This evening I walked down memory lane by myself but surrounded by hundreds of teens and their parents. Tonight I went to a high school musical.
The high school musical can be a real hit and miss affair. Sometimes it's a winner but other times it reeks of old sweat socks. Tonight's offering at West Fargo High was The Boyfriend. It was a bargain for five bucks. Terrific space too!
I had never seen it before but knew Julie Andrews had been in it before Mary Poppins and My Fair Lady sometime in the 50s.
It was a pretty basic musical format reversed slightly- girl meets boy, they fall in love, they somehow fall out of love, then finally the boy and girl come to their senses and return to fall in love. All this in three acts and in the space of 24 hours (realy Greeky). There are some non-principal sub-plots which are exploited well.
As for the West Fargo production- it was delightful but a bit clumsy at times. I could tell they have a very strong collection of women to work with in West Fargo (probably why they did this show it has the most women characters of any musical I have seen and that includes all those nuns in Sound of Music.). The men were slighly less on their toes although the men in character roles did very well. The leading lady was simply superb. She was in another production I saw last summer. Les Mis to be exact at Trollwood. She played Fontaine. She wore a wig in that show. But back to her perfomance tonight- it seemed so natural and flawless. She is a very talented lady. I was very pleased with sub-principal women too. Maisie gets kudos from me. I'm not sure if I'm biased. She had red hair. I hope to catch more high productions in the future.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!