The Return of the Spud Valley Hobby Show 2022

Spud Valley returned this year. Well, it never left during the troubling times. When October rolls around the Red River Valley- the Spud Valley show appears unlike the Great Pumpkin.
This year's edition (the 44th) had a big change. It was held at the fairgrounds in West Fargo instead the the Delta Hotel in Fargo. Chatter around the show was Delta upped the rental fee. No confirmation on that but these days it would not be uncommon. The building at the Fairgrounds seemed up to the challenge to host. To me it seems about the same size as the hotel conference room.

This year's show seemed heavy on diecast, toys, and traditional plastic models. Lots of toy tractors. A few more railroad collectibles than usual. There were trains but mostly outside my interested gauges or operating prerogative. A little less Lionel and O. A sliver of G. Some N and HO.  My interest in O gauge has changed- I am only looking for items I will immediately use on the layout like figures or line side shacks. A lot of the O scale I saw here appeared to be in the collectible realm of the hobby or just something I do not need taking up space in my basement. 

There were a half dozen layouts on show, including some TT scale pictured below. TT sits between HO and S- I think  HO and N. Commonly European model scale but there is some interest stateside.

The Red River Modular group were there with their massive HO layout.
Red Owl on the Red River Layout
A Marx O Gauge and a Z scale rounded out the layouts on display.

One thing of interest I saw was an American Flyer O gauge train. American Flyer had produced O scale trains up until 1947 when I decided to fully pursue the 3/16" scale- common to us as S scale. I almost mistook it for Lionel standard gauge due to the resemblance. I had to look closely to verify. 

After an hour and a half- I was satisfied. Well, not yet. I offered an American Flyer train set to the club to do with as they pleased. It was in the garage and taking up space and I had not idea what to do with it.
So what did were my purchases? 
Figures. A set of people in O scale and another set of people in G scale. 
Up next is Granite City, which is usually twice as large as Spud Valley. However, the show is up against the mighty World's Greatest Hobby Show down in Shakopee. I will have to see what impact that has on the show.  

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!