The Venerable New Balance - remembering old shoes

I think I have owned over a dozen pairs of New Balance shoes in my lifetime. 
That is not much by some standards, but I have found the shoes to be durable more or less and have worn out many pairs. Plus New Balance shoes tend to fit better for people like me who have wide feet. 
That is probably why I gravitate toward the brand when looking for running shoes. 

My first pair of New Balance I believe were a gray and blue pair of NB574s my mother purchased for me when I took up track and field in the seventh grade. They lasted through my greatest athletic period- junior high. I grew out of them by high school, left track behind, and wore Converse All-Stars instead. 

I do not recall when I returned to the New Balance fold. I remember using quite a few junky sneakers through college for sports that did not fit my feet well or breathe. Those shoes may have been from Wal-Mart or Pamida. I also started wearing more luggy outdoor recreation style shoes- Nike All Condition Gear and Coleman brand shoes. 

When I arrived in Fargo twenty years ago, I had begun in earnest to run daily. Upon arrival I utilized a pair of Brooks that were rather pinchy and offered little support. Eventually, I purchased a pair of New Balance 750s that got me through tons of miles and a few races. They were the shoes I wore for my first marathon in Sioux City, Iowa. I retired them once I found a pair of wide width 880s. During the same time period, I found a trail version of the 850s that I started to use as my everyday shoe. 

As time progressed I went through quite a few models of New Balance- some better than others (Summit K.O.M. were horrible). I still own 7 pairs of New Balance. This summer I finally retired my longest serving pair -  the green 990s. 
 While selling fireworks one summer in a mall parking lot, I visited at Tradehome shoe store. I admired a pair of 904s and tried them on. My feet were in love. These fit my wide foot and were extremely comfortable. However, I could not afford the $100+ to take them home. I needed to trade my home in order to get these shoes. I did not pawn my home and so ended up scouring the internet for an inexpensive pair of New Balance shoes with a model number in the 900s. Eventually, I found the green pair of 990s online for $70.
I ran in them extensively. They were on my feet when I competed in the 2007 Fargo Half-Marathon. They were a bit heavy for long distance efficiency but they felt great. Eventually after all the miles, the heels began to wear due my pronation and I ran in them less. I acquired a few more pairs of 990s on the second hand market that I wore for daily runs. I actually still have a gray pair. I then purchased a royal blue pair that were not wide width. They did not feel right but I used them off and on for running including my employer's 5K races that I finished 2nd both times. I got rid of the royal blue pair last year. The green pair lived on as shoes I would wear at work or to mow the lawn. They were still comfortable. 

So I send these shoes off with this post. Thanks for the miles and the memories.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!