Spud Valley Hobby Show 2018


For 40 years, the Spud Valley Show has been the go to event for model train and other hobby enthusiasts to gather in Fargo. Over the years plenty of hobby shops have come and gone. In 1985 there were 2 Lionel service centers in Moorhead, MN! Still, the annual show brings out a whole bunch of hobbyists to buy and sell not only model railroad items but model airplanes, diecast cars, model tractors, plastic models, railroad antiques, and vintage toys. Nobody sell vintage toys from the 1970s or 80s yet.
This year I went early and was amazed at the size of the crowd. It was actually difficult to get around the room. I also landed one of my best buys ever the Marx Bubbling Water Tower in excellent condition. I had been looking for it for a while and got for $10. After Marx sold the dies, K-line produced this water tower up until perhaps 2009.
I also decided to get a fire truck to put on the layout. It is a well detailed 1/43 diecast and plastic model.   
Marx Bubbling Water Tower
Overall it was a below average show in regards to O scale and reasonable priced farm toys (I found none). The club in town is HO so there is loads of that scale. I am creating a rule of thumb about shows- the scale of the club in the town will be the dominant scale on display and for sale at the show. Granite City or Twin City Train Club shows are best for O scale because they have large clubs with O layouts. Finding deals on farm toys is hit or miss. Don't quote me but they hold value. For me, last year was a phenomenal for farm toys as I took in a large haul of farm items. 
Only major hobbies not represented at this year's show were slot cars and RC. It would be great to see a slot car track at the show.
There have been a lot more layouts on display at the show in recent years. 2 O scale one with some Marx equipment were there this year along with a few HO layouts, a N scale layout ( pictured at top), the Spud Valley Modular HO layout, and a Z scale layout.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!