It is Christmas once again

Well, the holidays have a way of sneaking up on you and trying to pull you into the pit that is not the holiday itself but the Bizzaro holiday world. You know what I mean- the stress inducing things, the unrest, the traffic, the crowds. Really if somebody was searching for holiday cheer they'd be totally missing it.
But today I bring you the thing I like about Christmas- the music. Sure you get sick of it after a while. Some of it is like Skittles- I can't eat too many of those before all fruitiness is ruined for weeks.
Here's some songs I enjoyed this holiday season:

Josh Wilson's "Noel" or "Jesus is Alive"





Josh is a multi-instrumentalist but this arrangement on piano is simple but elegant. The song does speak to the reason I celebrate this time of year- the birth of Christ. Josh please come to Fargo
Next a gem from Bebo Norman I unearthed.


Released back in  2008, I have only heard this tune once on the radio. And I have only found it once online. This Joy to the World arrangement is fresh and new and kinda blue grass-esque.


Finally, I have "Offering", the Christmas version by Paul Baloche. The recording below includes Paul and some of his friends - I think they are his friends, including the guy named Lincoln and the UK's Vicky Beeching (I think she has a PhD but that is besides the point). Good song.





What about the songs I don't like as much- well I have a list of those and no videos:
Oh By Gosh, By Golly - pure holiday sacchrine
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer - there is no peace in this song
12 Days of Christmas - it is an acquired taste
Deck the Halls by 10th Avenue North- the song got way overplayed this year. I only want to hear it once a year. The acoustic version is pretty good.
2000 Decembers Ago by Joy Williams - again another song which was overplayed. Fine song but it annoyed me after a while

I'll end on a high note. Johnny Cash and his superstar lineup do "Children Go Where I Send Thee"





Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!