What Sucks- beyond freezing

It seems that every year the environs of the Go take a drastic plunge. I call it beyond freezing because that is pretty much what it is: temperatures that hover at -10 F and then add some wind you got "ol 40 below." It takes a lot to keep me from going outdoors and even the beyond freezing temps don't keep me indoors. I once went camping with a friend I'll call Rik in 20 below zero temperatures. It gave us both headaches. I'm not sure he has forgiven me for that adventure.
Fortunately or unfortunately, I got sick as the beyond freezing season began so I could not feel guilty for not having run 3 miles in the tundratic arctic of Go. What makes matters worse is that nearly every surface is icy and so biking is even more dangerous for me. [I usually do not bike when I know the temperatures will be below 20 F]
What are the drawbacks of beyond freezing, you may ask?
  1. Dryness. Yes, as the thermometer dips lower the moisture in the air disappears. Skin gets scaly and cracked and I have noticed I am more thirsty.
  2. Overly cautious. This bothers me but I need to face reality- people fear freezing to death. There has already been one high profile death by freezing in the states this year. The same happens with predicted snow and so people all take alternate routes and I find myself facing unexpected traffic in alleys and odd streets.
  3. Isolation. There is nothing better than beyond freezing weather to stay home and disconnect from the world. Go cover up and hide until its over. I sometimes pretend that I live on Mars as I peer out the window to view the cold. Mars is lonely and cold, much like beyond freezing days.

Well it looks like its going to warm up soon so I can forge beyond beyond freezing and get back on the bike.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!