The dangers of blog: a thin line of dissent

So you can actully lose your job because you blog. In the case of 2 individuals, their blogs cost them their jobs. Read about it here.
This begs the question what is protected speech now. Obviously their blogs must of violated company policy in the sense that as individuals they represent the company to the public. Additionally, speech is not necessarily protected in the sphere of the private world (only in relation to incidences of discrimination, whistleblowing, or in union organizing. Ones are employed at will as I recall from my professional ethics class and thus the private corpus (body) can do what it wants. I am not sure many even realize employers have this "right."
Now then what can one blog without violating the company line?
Here are my suggestions:
  1. Movies. As long you don't work for Miramax or Paramount I am sure the discussion of movie culture can be discussed and dissented with freely. (i.e. I dispised Al Pacino's role in Meet the Fokkers.) Look now one's going to fire me.
  2. Hobbies. As long as your hobby is not illegal- although I have seen a few blogs that ride that line, but I digress. I have frequently written about biking, I think I have, and soccer.
  3. Family. This of course could possibly be easy to do as long as you don't libel them in the process. Some family life is pretty interesting. However, telling about how junior had become potty trained may cross descency lines.
  4. Spirituality. I believe we can freely discuss spiritual issues. The first amendment protects the government from preventing the free exercise of religion I think. So, write all you want about the Almighty One or that idol you bow down to or what you do not intend to believe because you don't believe in anything spiritual. Can private organizations limit the free practice of religion? Hmmm. I would say that it may violate privacy issues. However, "religious speech" could possibly be limited by private companies. I believe it is unfair but I do not know of any protection for it. Looks like we are just protected from the government, those old dogs.

Comments

Notable Posts

So there was this zombie party

Back to 50s photos: Pontiac Chieftain

Gumby, Google, Clokey and Hastings. Oh My!